UK Criminal Record Check Requirements & Information
Getting a Basic Disclosure for UK Cittizens
UK citizens must submit an apostilled copy of a Basic Disclosure. This copy must have been issued within the last 6 months. The process takes at least 14 days so please apply for it ASAP!
Step 1: You can apply online, if your current address is in the UK and if you have been living at this address for at least twelve months.
– Apply Online: http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/apply-online/ – If you do not satisfy these criteria, you will have to apply using a paper application form. The fee for a Basic Disclosure is £23. You will need to pay using a credit or debit card. All major cards are accepted. This will appear as BT Disclosure Scotland on your account statement. Please have your card details handy before you proceed. You will need the following information/documents on hand to fill out the online application:
- Driving Licence*
- National Insurance Number*
- Electricity Bill
- Previous Disclosure
- Address details covering at least the last five years
- Employer’s address if your Disclosure is to be sent there
- Credit or debit card
* You must be able to provide at least one of the following: Passport Number, Driving Licence Number or National Insurance Number.
Step 2: Please send COPIES of the following:
- A utility bill (e.g. gas, electricity or telephone) or another document issued by a government dept. or your local authority which confirms your current address, and
- Either your passport, driving licence or birth certificate which confirms date of birth details.
You can email, fax or post the COPIES of these documents to Disclosure Scotland, see contact details below. Please do not post the original documents. When sending your supporting documents please ensure that you quote the 16-digit reference provided at the end of the online application process. Disclosure Scotland is unable to process your application until these supporting documents are received. Send the copies via:
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax – 0870 609 6996
- Post – Disclosure Scotland, Basic EHU, PO Box 250, Glasgow, G51 1YU
If you want to check on the status of your application, you can contact:
- By phone – on 0870 609 6006
- By email – to email@example.com
Ireland Criminal Record Check Requirements & Information
Getting a Police Certificate for Ireland Citizens
Irish citizens must submit an apostilled copy of a Police Certificate obtained by the Gardai. This copy must have been issued within the last 6 months. The whole process takes at least 3-4 weeks so please apply for it ASAP!
Step 1: Apply in writing (by post) to the Superintendent in charge of the District where you live. Click here for a directory of Garda Stations.
- If you go in person to your local Garda station and leave your application for forwarding to the Superintendent for the district, you should take note of the Garda’s name or shoulder number.
- If you are an Irish citizen living abroad, write to the Superintendent of your police district here in Ireland and request a Police Certificate.
Include the following information in your application letter for a Police Certificate:
- Full name as on birth certificate (including maiden/married name if applicable)
- Date and place of birth (or copy of birth certificate)
- Current address
- All addresses at which you resided in Republic of Ireland
- Place & Purpose (i.e. Embassy) for which Certificate is required
- A copy of your passport, driving licence or similar for identification purposes
- A stamped, self-addressed envelope for the return of your Police Certificate
*There is no fee for the issuance of a Police Certificate.