The application process for public schools is more involved and lengthy than private schools. EPIK screens teachers and checks teacher’s documents very carefully. It is important to make sure that you know the application details and follow the procedures correctly! NOTE: EPIK will begin accepting Spring 2012 applications from the first week of October 2011 and the official deadline is December 1st. Contact us now for information on how to prepare and fill out the form! You can download the Spring 2012 application form at the bottom of the page and e-mail it to us.
EPIK Spring 2012 application process
EPIK will begin accepting applications for Spring 2012 placement starting Oct 1st, 2011. Your application must be completed and sent in as quickly as possible as applications for EPIK are received on a first-come, first-served basis. *IMPORTANT*We strongly recommend that all EPIK applicants apply for EPIK Seoul and if you don’t already have one, get a 100-hour TESL/TEFL or a CELTA certification. Why? EPIK Seoul accepts the greatest number of EPIK applicants, certification makes you a highly competitive candidate, and you also qualify for a higher pay bracket for EPIK National (which will more than pay for the cost for the certification!). Please contact us for how to get TESOL certification for only US$250. You can complete it online in 3-4 weeks.Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be native English speakers from US, CAN, UK, IRE, AUS, NZD or RSA
- Must hold Bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited university in any field
*NOTE* EPIK Seoul applicants MUST at least have ONE of the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education
- A Bachelor’s degree in English, English Education, English Literature, or Linguistics
- A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline plus one (1) full year of teaching English
- A Master’s degree in any discipline
- A currently valid elementary or secondary teacher’s certification
- A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline plus a TESOL/TEFL(100+ hours) or a CELTA
IMPORTANT: Teachers need to get their applications in early! EPIK employment is granted on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants need to begin preparing their visa documents before or as soon as they begin the application process, especially their Criminal Record Check! *New Zealand, South African and US applicants need to prepare their criminal record checks as soon as possible, as it takes an average of 2 months for citizens of these countries to receive them.Application Process Step-by-Step:
- Applicants apply on our website and have phone interviews with us. We determine if they have the interest and the qualifications to be eligible for EPIK.
- Applicants send us their completed application form(s) and 2 scanned letters of recommendation. *If applicants are applying for Seoul, they must also include a 2-page lesson plan and Seoul Attachment form.
- Planet ESL reviews the applicant’s application and letters, then send them to EPIK.
- EPIK reviews the application, and if the teacher is accepted, they will be scheduled for an interview with EPIK.
- EPIK will hold interviews with the teacher and will inform us of the interview result, which we pass on to you. Teachers who have passed their interview will move on to the Second Round.
- Teachers ship their visa documents to us (See Public School Visa Process for a list of the required documents).
- We review the documents and make sure everything is in order then courier them to EPIK.
- EPIK confirms the documents and successful teachers are recommended to the POE (Province of Education).
- The POE approves the teacher and EPIK sends the teacher an Official Contract and a Notice of Appointment, which are used to obtain a visa at the Korean consulate in the applicant’s home country.
- Applicants sign their contracts, apply and receive their visas, then book flights to Korea.
- Planet ESL representatives meet the teachers at the airport and guide them to the EPIK Orientation site.
First step to apply for EPIK: The following documents need to be sent to us by e-mail first:
- EPIK Application Form. Applicants who wish to apply for Seoul must also send the Seoul Attachment form (it includes a 2-page sample Lesson Plan)
- Digital passport picture in .jpg format (Professional, passport quality formal head and shoulder shot) to attach in your EPIK application form.
- 2 Scanned Reference letters: Teachers need to send us scanned copies of two original letters of reference. Reference letters must meet all of the guidelines below. Before mailing us the original letters, teachers need to scan and e-mail us copies of them so we can submit them to EPIK with the initial application package. The original letters will be required later in order get a contract.
Both Letter of References MUST INCLUDE the following criteria:
- Your full name(as it appears on your passport)
- The referee’s full name
- The referee’s job title
- The referee must be from employers, supervisors, university and above academic sources, or your pastor or minister (no friends/family/co-workers. Only public school co-teachers are acceptable).
- Must be on official letterhead(or attached business card)
- Letter issuing date (must be no older than 2 years)
- Should be addressed “To Whom it May Concern” or to “EPIK”. (Not Planet ESL Recruiting or anywhere else)
- Must be .jpg or .pdf format
- The referee’s contact details (name, telephone, email, address)
- The business address
- IMPORTANT: Must be a scan of original (not a picture).
- Must have a scanned ink signature (not a typed signature). If a teacher is hired, the original with real ink signature must be sent for 2nd round documents after an interview.
- Reference Letters will not be accepted by EPIK if teachers send them in a different format, or if there is no scanned signature or missing contact information. No tracing over signatures! No electronic signatures! No exceptions!!
- If a teacher is currently working in Korea or has since 2010, they MUST have a letter of recommendation from current or former employer in Korea (in Korean or English).
*Errors will slow down an application, as the teacher will have to re-submit new documents which can be very time-consuming. It is better to get it right the first time. EPIK will review the applications and schedule the applicants for interviews. Interviews will most commonly be held over the phone, but sometimes a webcam interview is required. For applicants who are currently in Korea, a webcam interview is mandatory.
Application file downloads: